Friday, September 26, 2008

Cabin day 1

Day 1, monday, september 22nd, 9:40 am:


Hello all,
I am here at the cabin. I left last night at 9ish. There was a lot of traffic, and stupid traffic at that, people driving really fast and almost crashing as they switched lanes at the last minute. The car was packed tightly and there wasn’t much visibility. My blind spots were blind and my left and right signals were more like left and right tentative meanderings as I waited for a horn from somebody who was next to me, if they were there at all. But I played it safe and went 65 the whole way and waited until most people were gone and the road was empty to change lanes.

I arrived at 11:30 and unpacked the perishables and my boyos, Riley and Mijit (male rex rats). By the time I finished unpacking food it was midnight. I was a little scared about coming up here in the dark, and being alone. Because if I got stuck or something I couldn’t call for help, I’d have to depend on myself. It also meant if I screwed up with something I could only blame myself. Also last night my mind was not favoring me and brought up thoughts of the movie SIGNS (which scared me on a deep level...I can't explain it). The night was silent except for snapping twigs and nocturnal animals. I thought aliens were hiding in shadows some of the time. And with that frame to look and think through the creaking cabin and dripping drains did not help in the slightest. Before I fell asleep I looked at the boyos, and they were already asleep, so I figured if they were asleep, than I could do so as well. I hid under the cover and turned out the light
I set the alarm for 8:30 am and woke up at 8:11 and waited for the alarm to go off. The morning was quite a contrast to the evening. First of all the animals were awake and making their presence known. Right outside my window a female woodpecker, male blue jay and large squirrel foraged in the pine needles while a male woodpecker drilled the side of the cabin. It was quiet and beautiful with the sun shining through the spectacularly clean windows (thank you mom). When I woke up it was a bit chilly, because I hadn’t turned the gas heater on, just the water. But it was only 65, so I put some clothes on and unpacked the rest of the food, the boxes and cans and stuff. I wrote down what was there. I had a cup of coffee, and I think it is time for breakfast.
I plan: to eat breakfast, shower and head down the mountain to the campus to talk to the department secretary for a degree check, to find out how much more I have left to do, and also to check the credential information, because someone said I have to be “accepted” into the program, I can’t just take the courses willy nilly. Also I have to buy some rat food, some coffee creamer, lunch meats, cheeses, dish soap, and a dish scrubbie. When I get back I should look through the recipes and unpack my clothes. Its a busy day. And in summation, I think I am going to be OK, even though I miss you all.
Love
~Brian. 10:10am
ps: The time moves slower up here, so that should help with the homework, and hinder when there is nothing to do.

No comments: