Saturday, March 6, 2010

changes

I moved from California to Michigan by car.

I arrived yesterday around 1pm michigan time, which I think is 'eastern time' though I am not certain.

I have a lot to say about the trip, however I am tired. Too tired to write about it I am afraid.

I drove the last 1600 miles in one fell swoop, unpacked, than slept for 18 hours uninterrupted. It was glorious.

I woke up this morning to Loo's sister shaking me. She was excited to see me. They all were. Loo's Mom, brother Chris and sister Shannon. But where is Loo? You might wonder.

New York.

yeah, she was in New York when I arrived at her house in Kalamazoo. She went to see her cousins in Pennsylvania. I knew that much. Then she decided to go further on to New York to visit friends. It's only 5 hrs from Pennsylvania.

What had had happened was she called me after day one to ask where I was.

"Colorado."
"Oh, Cool. When will you be in Kzoo?"
"Probably Saturday morning."
"Okay. See ya then."

She thought I would be there Saturday morning so she went to New York to visit friends she hadn't seen in awhile. I didn't know that. I drove the last leg of my trip nonstop, all 1600 miles, and arrived Friday 1pm. I really wanted to see her. But she planned to be there at my arrival Saturday. So when I called to tell her about the surprise of me arriving a day ahead of when I said, well, it did not go like I expected. So I just went to sleep in my new room for 18 hours.

Now, the next day, I am sad and disappointed, maybe even depressed a little. The trip--leaving my home in Cali, my family, all of it--has made me very emotional, and I was looking forward to seeing Loo to ... do what? In some way alleviate it maybe? I'm not sure. I guess I expected something and when it didn't happen the way I expected I got sad. We planned to go to the flogging molly concert in Detroit Saturday evening, so that's where I will meet her.

It is also why I must leave now to prepare.

I have never driven to Detroit before.

2 comments:

Person said...

Brian! What an adventure you're on. Please keep blogging about the trip (once you've gathered some of your energy back) and your new life in Michigan.

Little Lady said...

Wow, you drove all the way to Michigan by car?? Must have been some drive. It must be nice to have Loo's (who I am assuming is your girlfriend) family greet you with such enthusiasm! Very nice!
Have fun at the concert, with your girlfriend, and get some more rest!