Thursday, November 20, 2008

Birra Purra




I like beer. And what I mean to say is I like the flavor of beer; not getting drunk, although that can be fun at times too. No, what I mean is I like the flavor of beer.

I remember the first time I had some. My father had a big tall pilsner glass with a golden brew in it, most likely a Pacifico. And I said, "Whats that taste like?" and he handed it to me. And I took it with a smile, looked to both my mom and my dad who both said it was OK. So I tilted it towards my mouth and took a small mouthful, like a two small sips, but at the same time. And I remember it tasting like dirt/old coins and handing it back coughing the whole time. I remember saying, "That tastes gross. I will never drink that nasty stuff again." because Dad told me to remember me saying that. He also made me remember other similar times. Like the time I swore off girls:
"Girls are gross. I will never have anything to do with them." And he told me to remember I said that.
As well as the time I swore off clothes:
"Clothes are stupid. I never want to wear this stupid stuff again."

Anyway... what was I saying... oh yeah beer. I like it now, and I don't remember when the switch occurred. But anyway, yesterday I was at the store (for the 3rd time ever on my own for just me--scary) and every so often I get a new six pack of a new beer I havent tried before. Maybe I will start a beer blog?

anyway I got this new Italian beer called...Whats it called...Bier...no thats german... its... oh yeah! Birra Peroni Nastro Azzurro. Which, kinda, sounds, bad...Nastro sounds like the italian for nasty, but it means ribbon.

Anyway I popped the top of it off and it had a mist oozing out of the bottle that was pretty cool that some others havent had. Before I drank any I gave it a smell. For wine they call it a bouquet, but for beer I think they call it ... a bouquet, which is kinda silly because they usually smell like dirt and not like fruit, though both grow in dirt...

Anyway the birra purra de italia comes from Rome! And it isn't one of those owned-in-Rome-brewed-in-the-states kind of things either. They make it in ROME and put it on a big boat that sails from the boot all the way across the Atlantic, then by train, then by truck, then by dude, then I buy it and bring it up the mountain with me. But it's from ROME!

I imagined the journey and the craft involved to make a birra purra de italia and felt like it was special because of the journey it took to reach me in the mountains. Like we were destined to be together!

That didn't last that long though. I drank it and I want to describe it for you.

Beer connoisseurs have this fancy language to describe the flavors and how it rolls across the pallet and stuff that I think is a brazen attempt to compete with the snobbishness of wine snobs.

Anyway the birra purra de italia is described as "Crisp" and that is exactly how it tasted. They got it right! Once! They got it right. It did taste crisp. And the golden liquid bubbled and fizzed and I thought it was amazingly crisp and yummy flavored.

Then the flavor after that was...beer. :-(

That is to say it was what I remembered beer tasting like when I first tried some. It was EXACTLY that flavor I sampled ... 16 years ago back when I was 8. (that's a guess). And thus I had to share because the birra took me back when daddy handed me a glass and I swore it off.

No comments: