Friday, June 11, 2010

breakfast rant

I suggested Loo and I take her dad out to breakfast this morning.

I regret that now. He is a religious wacko. Every world event goes right back to the bible. The peace flotilla and the gaza strip? Yeah, God says 927 times in the bible that the jews shall have their own state, sorry Palestine, God has decided where the jews shall be, in his role as an omniscient real estate broker.

"God gave them their own state," he said.

"You mean the British gave them their own state right after world war II, right?"

He closed his eyes and shook his head, body language clearly saying no, brian, you don't understand, you are full of it, and mistaken. Like a child stuffing his fingers in his ears and yelling, "nah nah nah nah nah" so he can't hear anything you say.




(I don't even want to recall the conversation I am so angry. He is a grown man using the tactics of children. He wouldn't listen, couldn't listen. He lives in a fairytale world of biblical prophecy, angels, demons, and Satan's influence. He thinks everything is progressing to the end times, and he is looking forward to the rapture, talks about it everyday. You know that magic time when the best thing that could ever happen happens: Jesus returns to earth for the second time and takes with him all the good Christians and leaves behind the sinners who will rot in a literal hell on earth covered in boils. It's ugly. It's an ugly belief I can't imagine living in a world where that is your reality. That you look forward to it.

Why isn't it clear to people that this particular world view is caustic to everyone here? The current world doesn't matter, it's the afterlife that matters. Here is where atheism can feel like a religion to the religious because most atheists do not agree on their point. Most atheists believe this is the only life you get, and in it you should do well for yourself and others. Most Christians believe you have a soul that is eternal that lives on after you body dies, and if you promise to believe in The holy trinity that soul lives on in paradise. Is it really a surprise these world views are at odds with one another? One thinks this is the life that matters, the other thinks that it doesn't matter. Real world data shows that the most nonreligious countries are the most generous to others during pain and suffering. Not the religious countries. All this talk of loving your neighbor and doing good for others is just that, talk. What's the point in helping people live good lives, when you believe that as long as they accept jesus as their personal savior they will go to heaven, live in a paradise without hunger or pain?

Genocides, wars and etc. gives the Pious thoughts of good Christian souls drifting to heaven to be in a better place, rather than the reality of the gruesome death they actually received. No more and no less, the end of their individuality, the likes of which will never exist again.)

Some jewels from her pops during breakfast:

Obama makes bad decisions because of Satan's influence, didn't you know? he is surrounded by radicals who want him to be in charge of the world government, all of whom are influenced by Satan. If he had asked me what I thought of all that...

(They have a saying about my family, "Be careful what you ask [that family/person in that family] because they WILL tell you.")

If he asked me I would have told him what I thought. I think he is delusional. And I would have gone from there, but he didn't ask me. He had no need to do so. He knows what he believes and it is irrelevant what anyone else believes. The Bible says its true, so it is. You can't talk to people like that.

But I did anyway and used his twisted delusions to wrap him up into a neat little bow before dropping him off at his house.

He said, "Satan uses his influence to affect people on the surface."

"Didn't the book of Job show plainly that Satan is a powerless figure? He has to ask God permission to afflict Job. How is it that he has any influence at all without God's express permission?"

"Everything he does fits into God's plan--"

"--So he is using Satan to accomplish His plan."

"Absolutely."

"So what is the point in fighting Satan's influence if everything he does is according to His plan? In fighting Satan's influence you fight God's plan. Are you aware of this?"

"Uhmm..."

End

ps: It makes me mad that it makes me mad. It shouldn't make me this mad, you know? But it does. I think if he were a stranger I could have brushed him off like a delusional lunatic, put him in his place. I have no respect for people like that. But it was Loo's dad. I had to bite my tongue, and all attempts to have a rational discussion failed.

There are a lot of Christians here, lots of religiosity, no place of mine feels safe from their influence. It gets to me, you know? I need my own space, a little bubble of rationality. I can't get it here. And some times I have to blow off steam, so realize this was written in anger and try not to read too deeply into it.

I feel like I have to say something inflammatory here. Add a cherry to this rant-sundae.

Your religion is only real in your head, please keep it there.

1 comment:

Little Lady said...

I know nothing about the bible, or about religions really... I know the "basics" if you could say that.

My mother always called herself catholic but never went to church, never did anything but make the sign of the cross when a church came in sight. Then things started going wrong and she "went to God" and now things are "getting better."
Whatever someone is talking about she will refer back to God (just like your girlfriend's dad). Even in very sensitive and hurtful times. My dad was telling us about his brother who is in the hospital fighting for his life, and you know what my mother's response was? "If he was close to God this wouldn't have happened" ... she also tells me "Get close to God so you can be happy" ... She still things I am catholic... Whenever someone asks about my religion I would always say catholic but I never felt catholic... I did believe in God, and whenever I prayed I would pray only to God, never to Jesus, or his mother or the "saints"... I tried but it always felt fake... I don't call myself anything anymore, mostly because I feel ignorant to call myself anything... do I still believe in God? I don't know, I'm not sure. Maybe not "God" but some sort of creator? I don't know... But I will be honest and say that every now and then I will plead in my mind to him, mostly out of habit and desperation... but I also know that the power of the mind can be something powerful too... so I guess "God" for me is really in my mind.... I don't know...

I just realized my comment doesn't really have much to do with your post but I just wanted to share something I guess...