Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Updates

I wanted to get all of these out as a kind of individual blog post but I feel blogged down, so they are all going here. I am also tired so I dont know how far I'll get.

Since I moved to this state I have been living in Loo's Mother's basement like a troll. Two weeks ago Loo's sister AKA BeanBall, moved to her bf's house in Colorado. I quickly wrapped my troll tendrils around that room and made it my own. I now live on the surface, rather than under ground. Its nice, although different. The seasons have switched now from cold to warm and the basement is much cooler than the surface. I may have to return to my troll cave to beat the heat of the hotter days.

A side effect of being on the surface is more interaction with Loo's mother. She is really starting to bug me. Everything she says ends with a higher-pitched emphasis on the last word, which make everything sound like a question. She also tilts her head a lot making it seem like a question when it really isn't. The statement, "I'm going to get my keys now," becomes, "I'm going to gt my keys now [head tilt]." She also has this distant spacey look. It's hard to describe. It's as though the last word confuses her. There is a bunch more that she does, but I dont want to sound petty. Suffice it to say she has some idiosyncrasies and some psychological things going on with her that make interaction with her awkward.

Loo and I got a Lizard. He is about 4-5 months old, about a foot long and weighs about a pound. He is a savanna monitor, an intelligent lizard from Sub Saharan Africa. He will grow to be about four feet long and weigh 35 pounds. He eats crickets now and once a week he gets a mouse.

I read a cool book called God is Dead, a fiction story about what would happen if humanity was presented with undeniable proof that God had died. Everything falls apart in interesting ways, and some things stay together and get better, new jobs open up, new trends replace god and so on. A good quick read. I read it in a day. I recommend it.

TEDtalks is a free thing on the interweb where important people talk about the most important thing in their lives, kinda like campfire stories. I just watched a lady who was a neuro-anatomist that had a stroke and new what was happening to her and what was going to happen to her and describes what precisely was going on inside her skull and how it manifested itself in her visible world. For example she knew she was in trouble so she picked up the phone, but she could not remember what the numbers were or how to count, or read or speak.

I recently been on a volcano kick, and found the climate event that almost wiped humans out ~70k years ago. I heard about the event but never heard what caused it. A super volcano in Sumatra named Toba blew up, it was the worst volcanic explosion in the last 25 million years. It put hundreds of cubic MILES of stuff (ash, sulfuric acid, etc) in the air that drifted around in the atmosphere in a western fashion wiping out all kinds of animals including us. Our population dropped down to about 1000 mating pairs in Africa 70k years ago. That is a small gene pool and explains why we currently have lots of genetic disorders, like cancer, tumors and etc, the gene pool was small, lots of inbred ancestors. Huh. That explains a lot.

I am not religious in the slightest, but Loo is and I have been going to church with her to spend time with her because she doesn't want to go alone, and I dont want her to be sad. I dislike church a lot, but I love Loo, so I continue to go. She believes in God and I do not. People think that is weird, "Like, how can you two be around each other with such divergent belief systems??" Easy, she is cute as hell (as well as funny, smart and good to me) and I am funny looking (and smart I guess, there might be more but you'd have to ask her) and we enjoy each others company. The other day, quite randomly, I asked her what she thought about human evolution. She didn't get it, "how we changed from whatever to whatever to get here. I also dont understand how it all started with one single celled organism." But it turns out she was ok with the other stuff, everything in between. This is a popular christian argument I am very familiar with, it basically says there is a micro evolution and a macro evolution but they only believe in the micro one. But she didn't say she didn't believe, she said she didn't understand. It is my job to educate her. I'd be sad if she didn't believe in evolution. Its an obvious truth that is taken for granted, to ignore it is to ignore gravity.

Sleepy time






3 comments:

Little Lady said...

God is Dead will be on my reading list.

I'm sure your girlfriend Loo has lots of good things to say about you. Feeling comfortable with each other, enjoying each others company and treating each other good (with respect), is what counts the most! Then comes the rest... I'm sure it's nice to have some friendly disagreements, but I'm sure there is lots in common too.

p.s. what did you guys name the lizard?

Brian said...

Lizard is still unnamed :-(. I was thinking about Toba, because he spends alot of his time dormant, and quite suddenly (when food is nearby) explodes into action. Loo said she'd think about it, and said I just wanted to tell everyone about Toba when I explain his name. I went for another volcano that gave the dark ages its name called Krakatoa, but Loo says it sounds too much like Kraken, that ubiquitous sea creature in movies of late. Most recently she proposed Dexter. I don't know how I feel about that. Name ideas are certainly welcome!

Little Lady said...

Lol... Dexter, whenever I hear that word it reminds me of smartness. Toba sounds good too

I am horrible at name ideas... I could not, for the life of me, name my own son! In the end his grandma named him after her son (his father) and choose the middle name too. Lol.