Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Bar B Que that stuff Son!

One day Loo came home with a huge box and asked me to help her carry it into the garage--that's Loo talk for carry it into the garage by the way. I set it down out back and started asking question about it. I knew Loo's mom wouldn't approve of a second bbq, (but this one was charcoal instead of gas, and way better). I voiced these concerns to Loo and she said that she bought the BBQ for me (because I voiced my dislike of the other grill. It is too hot.) I freaked out because that meant Loo's Ma would get mad at me, and she has been mad at me for so many things in the recent past that I think I have developed a psychosis as a result of it. I spend a lot of my thinking time worrying about how not to make her mad. It bothers me, a lot. I exploded quite suddenly at Loo, who thought she was giving me a thoughtful gift to me, and she was I just couldn't see it then. That bothers me, and it made me wonder if perhaps I might be manic depressive because I have these sudden extremes of happiness/euphoria and sadness/anger/frustration/rage, or perhaps I think I do. I don't get them much, but one of Loo's epithets for me is 'bipolar bear,' which always makes me aware of a perceived random occurrence of a negative emotion, be it anger, or sadness or something. Anyway, I said some unjustifiably mean things to her and apologized to her right before she went home. I felt bad the rest of the day. Why do I do that?

And today, a day or two later, I started to assemble the grill. As I removed the pieces I became aware of the absence of instructions for the grill. There weren't any. It must have been an item at walmart or home depot that someone got and turned into Goodwill, where her friends works, did I mention he gets great deals at Goodwill? The box was devoid of instructions. I ventured online for a grill instruction sheet pdf, but it was in vain. They must have the instructions at the original place of purchase. With no other option left to me I did what any sensible man would do. I did what my dad and brother would surely do. I put it together by the seat of my pants with the box picture as my guide. I have a good mechanical aptitude and spatial reasoning skills. In a couple hours I had it together. The hardware was missing one lock washer and had an extra flat washer, so I made due. And then we used it to grill some burgers.

Loo found a recipe online for these fiesta burgers which were really good. Let me tell you how to make them because it is so easy. First you take a packet of taco seasoning mix and mix it into one pound of ground beef, I did this like it was clay or dough and kneaded it in there, breaking it in half and starting over until its all mixed in the raw meat. I wash my hands at this point for some reason. Then you start making little patties, and by little I mean thin, as thin as you can make them, eight in number. Then you take a 1/4 cup of chive and onion cream cheese and a 1/3 cup of cheddar and mix it together. Then take a quarter of that mix and put it in the middle of four patties. I wash my hands at this point for some reason. Take the other patties and place them on top of the cheese filling ones forming a sandwich of raw beef. Pinch the edges closed and seal them up real well. Grill like you would grill a burger and put them in a bun. And on that bun put some salsa and some avocado. Enjoy. I had two, plus a regular hamburger (the package of ground beef had almost 2 pounds in it)

I see now that it is getting late and I should go to bed and get up early for work tomorrow.

It has been really uncomfortable here, weather wise. It's been in the 90's with high humidity, which I have never really experienced before. It's like sucking in the same air you breath out.

I found some article in Harpers about carrying a concealed handgun on facebook that I printed out. I think I'll read it now. Knight.

2 comments:

Person said...

That sounds delicious.

Little Lady said...

It does sound delicious... also, I wash my hands the way you do, almost after every step... even if you are still going to be touching the same thing.

Good luck with Loo's mom... I am the same way you are... This is how I was with my husband's (whom i seperated from) mother... oh God... it was really horrible.. I worried tooo much about what she thought, or about upsetting her. I always felt I never did anything right with her... it was compeltely awful... so... good luck. Really.