Sunday, September 12, 2010

Another day another omelet

Hi, welcome to Kalamazoo Michigan where I am in Ma's basement where it is currently 18:13:52:52 Brian's move-out standard time.

Autumn is coming. For the first time in a long time instead of being uncomfortably hot it was uncomfortably cold, I guess that's how you know in this place.

In a few weeks the trees start changing color. I haven't seen it, but I hear it is quite impressive, and that people come from all over to see it. I was telling my Michigan friends what autumn is like in California. And if you are from Cali you know, but for those who don't it is hard to distinguish from the other seasons. Its not as hot, or isn't supposed to be as hot. So lets say the temperature on average is a little lower, but still pleasant and enjoyable. They asked me about trees. Maybe this would work better in dialog?

"Whats southern Cali like during the autumn?"

"Its like the other seasons: nice."

"Is it colder?"

"I'd say not as hot."

"Do the trees lose their leaves?"

"Not really. There are lots of pine and oak trees where I live and they stay green most of the time. Now, there is this one apricot tree down the road that changes color and does the autumn thing. That's usually the only way I would know."

"Does it snow?"

"No. Maybe in the mountains if it gets cold enough and rains, both of those are kind of rare though."

"Huh. Weird."

"Maybe."

New topic

So, in case I forgot, I installed the new transmission for Loo. Total cost: 600 bucks, or about 3,500 less than if it had been done by a professional. I felt like... well, it's complicated.

(See I knew what was involved with it before I started; I knew I would be on my back, on the asphalt, laying under the car for about ten days, three of which I would have to work all day, but nobody else knew what was involved. If you don't work on cars you don't know what it's like. To reach up through the center member with one hand and use your other hand to pass a wrench to the first hand to use on a rusted nut. To feel your greasy hand slip on the wrench, to know that if the rusty nut breaks free your fist will smash into the stamped metal flange of the firewall and cut you across the knuckles. To also know there is no other way to loosen it so you push and push and hope the nut gives way easily, but no, it takes all your strength to break it free and you punch the flange and cut yourself across the knuckles anyway. For the rest of the job that cut, and all the others, heal, break open and seal and reopen. It will get the car's life fluids in it, and you will recognize them by feel. The acidic burn of break fluid, the anti-bacterial sting of transmission fluid, the way metal filaments in motor oil grind their way between the two sides of an open wound, the sticky tingle of coolant turning your scabs into soggy bread that slough off like snot on your hand. Every wound will find the sharpest edge of every part of the car, despite your caution you will still gouge, slice and stab yourself in the rawest places. It will reach the point that you will look at your hand covered in red transmission fluid and blood and not know which is which and not care, so long as you aren't bleeding too much that it requires inch-worming out from under the car to stop the bleeding. Besides, transmission fluid is a detergent, kills germs. You will be using muscles you didn't know you had to turn wrenches in twisted positions. The wind will blow dirt into your eyes, which you can't rub or you'll put the stuff on your hands into your eyes. That would make it worse, and it would burn. So you just blink and blink, or forgo sight and feel your way to the bolts. Sight is an overrated sense anyway.)

I'm not sure what I am trying to say here. I'm not trying to lord over you, that I can do stuff you can't do and I am a real manly-man because I can do these things and you can't. That isn't it at all. It's just under appreciated is all.

If I had a poignant thing to say about this it isn't coming tonight.

New topic.

There is no food in this house besides eggs, spices and the big bag of boneless, skinless chicken breasts I bought a couple weeks ago. I been making omelets and eating them. I am getting really good at it. The only pot that works for it is a small teflon skillet. Omelets end up thick and fluffy and full of spicy chicken.

It was difficult for me to cook for me and me alone because my whole life I have had family dinners. But after I experienced how much of a chore it is to get people together enough to share a meal, and how unappreciated it was I stopped. They can eat their Kraft macaroni and cheese in several individual saucepans. I'll keep at the omelet. It's a good, filling, tasty meal. My omelet appreciation is a new thing. Growing up I disliked them because sometimes when Dad made them the center was runny like snot and it made me sick to my stomach and I lost my appetite. He tried to get it right but I was too damn picky. Now I love those things. Breakfast, lunch and/or dinner an omelet will do you good.

New topic.

I will be replacing Loo's worn out front suspension on her car. After only 191,526 miles they finally wore out, can you believe that? I was afraid it would cost about 500 bucks or so to buy all the parts, but I found a kit on eBay for $93 that had all I needed and than some, so... go me. I should be doing that tuesday-ish. We shall see.

time for bed.

"Another day, another death/ another sorrow, another breath."
--Metallica "No Remorse"

Another day closer to moving out.

I think I shall make an omelet to celebrate.

[18:11:38:01]