Friday, April 30, 2010

Pecking order group dynamic

Maybe its just me, but have you noticed when strangers meet and they will meet again they have to establish who is the alpha male? The pecking order group dynamic.

I have read and studied too much about human behavior not to notice. What's worse is that I understand things far more than I am able to express. It's a major bummer because if you could know what I know the world would be a better place, but I can't seem to show you what I know the way I know it. I can, at best, give you glimpses into my brain, my thought processes. This has resulted in people imagining what that's like and saying, "Wow, it must be crazy to be in your head all the time."

It is, don't kid yourself.

I filter the crazy out of what I say most of the time. And by crazy I don't mean crazy-insane asylum crazy, I mean the thoughts I have after a mountain of information I have thought about.
Metaphor start:
I am on this mountain's peak, looking down at you and I want to share this view with you, but in order to do that I have to tell you where the path is, how to walk it, when to take a break, how to get to where I am and it's a long process. Nobody has that kind of time, so what I do instead is say, "this is the path, and this is what it looks like at the peak if you want to walk it sometime I'll show you how." It is rare that anybody wants to walk it themselves, they'd rather hear a description of what I see and go, "huh, that's interesting," and never think of it again. Metaphor end.

Like hiking to the top of Half Dome in Yosemite. At the top of that rock looking at the valley below and the mountains around and being in awe, to have someone who could hike up there if they wanted, to have them ask you what its like. It's wrong. It is indescribable. All you can do is say its pretty and they should go, and you can talk about your own personal feelings after seeing the vista, but they will never truly know what it's like unless they go themselves. And even if you try to explain to them by recalling the view, or showing them a picture or a painting it isn't the same.

Anyway, I been meeting a lot of new people. It seems to me you have to establish a pecking order for alpha male. I really don't care about it, I'm not invested enough to be alpha male in every situation. It's too much work. But I am aware of how it goes down when I meet people. And by It I mean the following:

I met a guy at a party once and he says, "What up man, how you doin?"

"I'm doin well. Thanks. You from around here?" Already I am establishing my position as alpha male-grammar guy with the inclusion of the word 'well' and I am steering the conversation to me being from California--instant cred.

"Nah, im from far away. Grand Rapids."

"I don't know where that is."

"Its like an hour from here. Where you from?"

"SoCal." Instant cool-guy points as his face lights up.

"What the hell are you doing way the fuck out here?"

"A woman. University. Work. You?"

"Women. And my band plays here." You see that? He brought out the big guns after my so cal comment. He is in a band, that's cool, it might rival my growing up in Cali. If I were unaware of the pecking order dynamic being established I would think of something that tops his band, or find away to discredit his band. But I don't want to. I just want to talk.

"A band. Cool. What kind of music do you play?"

"Metal mostly."

"I love metal music, Metallica is my favorite band of all time." If I were a woman, or he was gay he would invite me to see him play sometime.

"Metallica is great. I play bass."

I couldn't think of any better way to end that conversation (metallica is Great I play bass.), so I spotted my woman and said, "Found my woman, take it easy man." And raised my beer to him, he raised his cup and thanked me.

He would forever be that guy that plays base in a metal band and I will always be that cool Cali guy that likes metal music. I'm ok with that.

Later on that evening some other guy walked right up to me and said, "I haven't seen you here before, I come here a lot."

"Yeah I'm new."

"I can tell by your clothes."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah, they look gay." This drew a crowd.

"Does that attract you?"

"No."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I am not gay dude. Are you?"

"No. You just know how gay people dress?"

"Yeah, wait no. No I don't."

"Uh-huh. Ok."

"Dude im not gay!"

"Who are you trying to convince?"

"You. Dude. This is fucked."

"You started it, you can leave if you are uncomfortable or embarrassed and want to stop."

He looked around and then left.

Maybe these were bad examples, but next time you go out and meet a bunch of people try to pay attention to the establishment of the pecking order group dynamic.

They figure out who you are and what you do and then say something about themselves that is greater than you.

I am done thinking about this.

3 comments:

Little Lady said...

I love these short dialogues you have.

I never noticed men did this. I am thinking about it now and I'm trying to remember if I have seen any of this take place. I guess I never paid much attention. Or... perhaps I have, there are some guys, especially younger ones, who can get touchy. Like pretend choke, pretend headlock, or whatever... would you say that counts? I remember this one time when I was having a coffee at McDonalds, there were a small group of guys, young ones, across the dining area. One of the guys began teasing one for having "gay hair," then it started to get insulting and it ended with one grabbing the other in a headlock, but he was holding pretty tight, I seriously thought he was going to choke him to death... the guy started coughing as soon as he let go. My God, is that to the extreme?

Éire said...

BRIAN. This is the reason I can't get high anymore in a group because it's all I notice. And when I am high it deeply disturbs me that People Are Talking About Something Other Than What They're Talking About. Actually I think the disturbing part is the power dynamics and aggression.

The true alpha male doesn't tease the other guys who are lower on the pecking order. I think it's usually the VP who does that to fight for his spot. The true alpha does not need to fight.

Maybe that's not objectively true, maybe it's colored by my perception of what is cool. But maybe it is objectively true as well.

I find myself doing this without wanting to: "That was when I was living in San Francisco." Slipping it in there. I always notice it afterward.

When I am not high, it gives me the giggles sometimes, or puts a secret smile on my face, to analyze people's body language and group power dynamics. I have a good example about that but it would take too long to type here and it would embarrass someone at my work if they ever somehow found it.

Lastly: when I worked at PetSmart I was in charge of the group play time for small dogs. This took place in a room where one entire wall was glass, so the customers could observe the cute dogs playing. I was supposed to keep them from humping each other. (They were all fixed.) Every time I turned my back on any of them, I'd turn back around and see a conga-line of little dogs humping each other. And I'd walk over and push them off each other, and as soon as I turned around... foursome. I noticed that when I refilled the water dish the humpers drank sooner than the humpees. Also, there was a larger dog there - an aloof german shepherd. I never knew why he wasn't classified in the large dog playtime. He was very dignified. He liked to stand next to me, then lean his body weight on me, which felt protective. He (obviously) was never humped by any of the other dogs. BUT INTERESTINGLY (perhaps), he didn't hump any of them either. Possibly because of the logistics, but more likely because... he was so far above them in the pecking order he didn't need to. And yes, all the other dogs let him drink out of the water dish first.

Brian said...

I LOVE reading your responses ladies, so thank you very much for that.

This was a hard thing to express. Like I said I understand it more than I can explain.

But the True Alpha male is usually established by a look, you are right. However sometimes a new comer has to figure out who is the alpha.

Yikes, gtg.

Thanks for reading!