Monday, April 19, 2010

Such a nice boy.

I wrote this Saturday but couldn't find the time to post it online.


Today is Saturday. I don’t know the date. I never know the date. I have to look it up every time.

Anyway I have 4 days off in a row for some reason. I got Saturday off, which is unheard of, and Sunday the store is closed. Next week I have Monday and Tuesday off. It will be really nice to have 4 days off in a row like a vacation—if only everyone else around me had those 4 days off we could go do something like camping or backpacking or exploring or something, but they all gots stuff to do. They are still in college and finals are coming up. Which reminds me, I have to e-mail my college professors and ask them about graduate school and writing me letters of recommendation so I can get into the best schools and live the dream of writing for $. But about that, one of my friends from college--we were in a lot of the same classes together--he applied to a bunch of grad schools and was universally rejected. It hit me hard. What if that happens to me? I mean I apply all over and they all reject me and I have to wait a year before they open their doors for applicants again. I need to look at my MFA book again and figure out how to look like an amazing applicant so the grad schools want me.

What was I talking about?

Today I told—well yesterday or the day before I told Loo’s grandma that I could fix her leaky bathtub/shower faucet because I had seen dad do it twice and figured I could remember enough to do it myself—but I couldn’t so I called him up and asked him about it after chatting for awhile—he had to go to court and stayed there all day. I asked him if he told the court that he can spot a criminal like that and snap his fingers--he usually gets overlooked for that reason--but he said no he just sat there and waited all day it was very boring. Bummer. I asked dad how to fix the leaky bathtub faucet and he told me so I started on it pretty confident I could fix it.

~end typing Saturday~

I could drag this story out, turn it into a full fledged story with character arcs and rising action and climax and katharsis (which I always spell in the original Greek), but I don't want to, for two reasons: it would take a long time and I got stuff to do. I guess that's just one thing. Wait lemme try again: I dont want to for two reasons: one, it would take a long time, and two, I got stuff to do. It still seems like those are inter-related. Like a conditional statement, if A then B--I have a shortage of time, therefore I can't justify spending it writing out a story. But maybe if I have time I will. I'd like to, it would lend itself easily and probably be enjoyable.

So right quick: I fixed the faucet and became the star of the family, again. I fixed a failing doorknob a while back that they had lived with their whole lives--it drove me nuts. (I don't know if I posted that here or not... I'll go look.) I also fixed Loo's Brother's broken car when he got a flat tire because his spring front coil spring broke and stabbed the tire. And I have been doing things around the house and for the family since I got here, things I consider little things, but things that they can't do.

Which reminds me, I been told by several people I know that their parents or their friends or someone I haven't really met thinks I am a nice young man, that they can tell. If it happened once I'd just say thanks to be polite, but it happened five times yesterday.

I fixed Loo's Grandma's leaky bathtub faucet and she thanked me, and Loo's Mom thanked me and told me about her sister and brother, loo's aunt and uncle, who said that they really appreciated it and knew that I was a nice young man. Two thoughts, first thought: They probably felt guilt-relieved (is there a word for that?) because Grandma probably asked for their help for months and they couldn't justify a trip down there to fix it, so they didn't, even though she probably mentions it often to them just so she can visit for a day. But then I pass by, fix the problem so they don't have to. This relives them of the mental burden that comes from guilt at not being able to fix a problem for their mother. Does that mean they are thanking me for relieving them of the burden on their brain, rather than thanking me for doing a good deed for their mother? Maybe both. Maybe that is a stretch and I am just neurotic. Second thought: We all know I am neurotic.

Then at Loo's friend Ginny's sister's new house warming party thing the parents didn't speak to me mind you, but told her that they thought I was a nice young man, that they could tell, and they liked me. I don't know how I feel about that. Did they pull her aside together and say, "Listen, Loo's boyfriend Brian is a nice young man. We want you to tell him we think that, but we don't want to say it ourselves. It was nice of him to diagnose your car problems, and help your sister too. He is a nice young man. You tell him for us." People are strange. I am a people, ergo I am strange.

He3 for the win.

ps: someone stole my ssn, so I have to prove my identity.

gtg buh

1 comment:

Little Lady said...

Oh no! Mine was lost before, but not stolen... though I'm pretty sure that wherever the green piece of paper laid it was picked up by someone. Stolen? Not necessarily. Used? Perhaps. Reported to the office? Never.

Maybe Ginny asked her parents if they've met you, and pointed to you and said you were Loo's boyfriend. Maybe they said "oh, yeah, we were watching him. He seems like a nice young man." And then Ginny just thought she should tell you that they thought you were a nice young man. =)

Enjoy the rest of your four days off.