Wednesday, March 4, 2009

It keeps blowing my mind up!

a book showed up at my favorite space in the science library called Reverse Time Travel. It was black and boring with gold face type. The title alone was enough to interest me, so I flipped through it. It was full of pictures and charts and diagrams and...math equations...which were really scary. But I figured Kevin might like it. So for the first time ever I checked a book out at UCR. That was easy.

I gave it to Kevin, said it looked cool but I know nothing about...equations...and the like. He said he was really busy but he would try to read it. He texted me the next week, "D()()D! That book is crazy! It blew my mind!"

When I came back the next week he gave it back and said I should read it, and that the...equations...weren't so bad. I started reading it 2 days ago.

On page 3 I think my brain exploded, and so on and so forth. I am halfway through it now, but it truly is amazing despite the...equations...

For example, a 10 foot long space craft decreases in length the closer to light it travels. At half light speed (335 million miles an hour) it would be about 6 ft long because space and time are just two different ways to measure the same thing. What?!?! [HEAD EXPLODES]

Warp speed or SciFi's answer to everything is FTL (faster than light) travel, usually involving "jumps" or "warps." This is impossible because the acceleration forces would turn a human pink vapor. The fastest you can continually go is the speed of gravity (9.81 meters per second squared) cause that is what we are use to.

OK, I got to go now but I will come back and blow your mind again.

I leave you with one more thing.

As you travel faster towards the speed of light the craft scrunches up until at light speed it is so thin it is two demensional, like a piece of paper. But the destination, or the distance to the destination also shrinks, that is called time dilation. So even if something is 100 lightyears away you could travel at the speed of light or close to it, and reach it in about 33 years, but to you on board it would seem instantaneous, too everyone else it would take 33 years. [brain explodes]

1 comment:

Person said...

i didn't know gravity had a speed
i mean it makes sense but i never thought about it that way

also: "space and time are just two different ways to measure the same thing"
my head explodes too