Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Heavy Metal Cello

I saw Apocalyptica live @ the avalon last night. They ROCK. They are a Finnish Cello quartet with a drummer. They started with Metallica covers on cello.

Metallica is my favorite group, so they started with the best material IMHO. And it blows my mind to hear my favorite songs and guitar solos performed on cellos accurately.

I was in the front row ten feet from them as they played. They don't speak much english, but they talked to us anyway and were funny: "Hello L.A! This is the first time for us here. It is good to see women in the audience tonight. It is usually a lot of really ugly guys. We play in L.A. more often now. This next song is for the women...or the guys too if you like us that way. That is fine if you do, you are just not welcome back stage. Ha. Ha." and then they played Bittersweet. Which Loo LOVES, so she was super happy right then.

Ok, so I want to capture that evening, but I don't have enough time to do it now, i.e. midterms. So I give you night in nutshell (I talk in broken english like Finnish people for now) I parked, meet up with girl. We went to exotic shoe store and she buy tall leather boots, then we eat at Kabuki Japanese restaurant with 10 piece sushi plate each. It was really very good. Then we wait in line for hour and inside for one more hour until show start. Apocalyptica (they pronounce it like a spanish speaker would.) rock the house with heavy meatal cello music. If you search "Apocalyptica live at the avalon" you see me on right side up front. I am tallest, bushy haired guy in audience. Cannot miss me.

No comments: